Translate

Sunday, May 3, 2015

5 Things I've Learned From Children


While we try to teach our children all about life,
Our children teach us what life is all about.
-Angela Schwindt


As an author of a children’s book I knew spending time with children would improve my writing. I never imagined children would also improve my wellbeing. Not only did they allow me insight into their innocent and constant expanding minds, giving me material for new stories, they also inspired a new perspective on life. Out of the many things I’ve learned from children these are the five, which made the biggest impact on me.

1. Children are the best storytellers. At times writing can seem like only a job and a means to make money. This is when procrastination takes hold and I feel my passion for writing slipping away. When I witness a child pick up a toy and create an adventure involving it, or open a book they can’t read and make up their own story, it’s like jumper cables to my imagination. The excitement and enthusiasm on their faces remind me how much I love storytelling and it’s the best tool there is to recharge my creativity and passion for writing. There’s no better way than to learn from the best.

2. Children are brutally honest. Yes, children can be blunt about pointing out a pimple on your face to the few pounds you’ve gained. When it comes to their opinion they also have no problem giving it. If something is bothering them they let you know. The same goes for how much they love something or someone. They don’t hold back how they feel or what’s on their mind because it’s important to them that others are aware. Their complete honesty has helped me to be more truthful with others and myself.

3. Children don’t hold grudges. When children get into a fight with other children, five minutes later they are playing together again. If they don’t get their own way, once something new catches their attention they forget about it and move on. Children have the ability to let go of negativity and put their focus back on what’s most important, having fun and being happy. They forgive and forget, letting go of the unnecessary. This is something I’m working hard to incorporate into my life.

4. Children see beauty in the ordinary. A colorful pile of leaves to a bird’s nest can stop children in their tracks because they feel it’s worth taking the time to admire. Everything and everyone around them is either new or special and they are unable to contain their appreciation for it. Their observation skills have shown me that I’ve had my eyes closed for years, missing out on things I’ve become numb to. I’ve since opened them and slowed down to take in things and people I’d normally walk right by.

5. Children make you want to start over. To children, happiness is a way of life. To adults, happiness is an added bonus. When you are dealing with life struggles it’s easy to let yourself get completely sucked into its negative grasp, allowing the things you can’t control bother you. To observe a child who is fearless, carefree, and happy takes me back to a simpler mentality, reminding me that life struggles are just struggles and they shouldn’t define my life or make me weak. Once I can let go of my own fears and anxiety built up from years of experience, I know I will find my way back to some of the innocence I lost along the way. When I watch children play I think, “I want to be like that again, fearless, carefree, and happy.”


No comments:

Post a Comment